Does it ever feel like you only hear about important deadlines when it is too late? I frequently feel that way, so in this series, I am going to remind graduate students of some upcoming deadlines, as I did for Science Exchange in Graduate Student Award and Conference Opportunities and Innovative Research Awards for Young Investigators.
These upcoming funding, conference, and award deadlines are focused on the graduate student audience; however, many may also apply to postdocs, undergraduates, or young faculty as well. Profiled below is funding to attend the Green Chemistry & Engineering Conference, the American Chemical Society (ACS) Meeting, a grant for public outreach of Analytical Chemistry, an Organic Chemistry Graduate Fellowship, and the ACS Western Regional Meeting.
1. NSF Student Travel Scholarship for the Annual Green Chemistry & Engineering Conference
The National Science Foundation (NSF) is offering a travel grand up to $1,000 for the 17th annual Green Chemistry & Engineering (GC&E) Conference in Washington, D.C. from June 17-20, 2013.
– Deadline: May 20, 2013
– Eligibility: Undergraduate, Graduate, and Postdoctoral current students
For scientists interested in entrepreneurship, ACS is partnering with the Kauffman FastTrac program for an Entrepreneurial Training Program (ETP) for scientists. FastTrac helps guides scientists to move from concepts to products and markets and provides training related to intellectual property, founder transition, and equity financing. Business ideas are required for submission.
– Deadline: May 28, 2013
– Submission Link: http://surveys.acs.org/se.ashx?s=04BD76CC113B305D
– Eligibility: All chemists interested in entrepreneurship
3. Young Chemists Committee Travel Funding to an ACS Meeting
The ACS Young Chemists Committee (YCC) and the CIBA Foundation award $500 travel grants to young scientists to go to and present at an ACS national or regional meeting. This award is twice a year, with July 1 and December 31 deadlines.
– Deadline: July 1, 2013
– Submission Link: http://webapps.acs.org/findawards/detail.jsp?ContentId=CNBP_027188
– Eligibility: Under 35 years, current Postdoc or within first 7 years of professional career
4. ACS Division of Analytical Chemistry
In celebration of their 75th anniversary, the ACS Division of Analytical Chemistry is offering $500 grants to projects to promote the history and impact of analytical chemistry. These projects can be a plenary lecture or symposium or an activity involving the general public. This seems like a great opportunity for an school or organization to host a visiting analytical chemist!
– Deadline: June 1, 2013
– Submission Link: http://www.analyticalsciences.org/ANYL75projectrfa.pdf
– Eligibility: Chemists participating in analytical chemistry related outreach activities
5. ACS Division of Organic Chemistry Graduate Fellowships
The American Chemical Society Division of Organic Chemistry is offering fewllowships for 3rd and 4th year Ph.D. students in Fall 2013. The fellowship is $26,000, which includes $750 for travel to the 2015 National Organic Symposium to present a poster. Only one application per research group will be accepted.
– Deadline: May 31, 2013
– Submission Link: http://www.organicdivision.org/?nd=graduate_fellowship
– Eligibility: Ph.D. students starting their 3rd or 4th year in Fall 2013
6. ACS Western Regional Meeting, Co-hosted by the California and Santa Clara Valley Sections
The 44th Western Regional Meeting will be held October 3-6, 2013 in Santa Clara, California. The Call for Papers and Registration are currently open. Plenary speakers include Priestley Medalist Dr. Darleane Hoffman (Berkeley and LBNL) and the Cope Scholar Symposium in honor of Dr. Sarah Reisman (Caltech). The conference will also feature career development and leadership development workshops, and the regional awards banquet.
– Deadline: August 23, 2013
– Submission Link: www.wrm2013.org
– Eligibility: Chemists, all levels
Photograph courtesy Decaseconds Photography.